Our Specialist Employment Law Team
Our lawyers in Newport and Pontypool act for employees in disputes that range from disciplinary meetings to representing them in unfair dismissal claims at the Employment Tribunal. Our focus is to find appropriate solutions and remedies for you to try and help you at what is a stressful time.
What can we do for you?
Our specialist employment lawyers in Newport and Pontypool can offer advice in relation to:
‘No Win No Fee’ Employment Advice
Some cases are suitable for a Contingency Fee Agreement (No Win No Fee). This will depend on the type of case and we are happy to discuss this option with you.
Legal Expenses Insurance
Some of our clients have cover provided by legal expenses insurance. If you believe you have cover please let us know and bring your policy documents to our meeting.
Fixed fee appointments
We offer a range of fixed fee services for employment advice.
Simple case: £1,500 – £2,500 (excluding VAT)
Medium complexity case: £2,500 – £3,500 (excluding VAT)
High complexity case: £5,000 – £10,000 (excluding VAT)
Factors that could make a case more complex:
- Hearing length
- If it is necessary to make or defend applications to amend claims or to provide further information about an existing claim
- Defending claims that are brought by litigants in person
- Making or defending a costs application
- Complex preliminary issues such as whether the claimant is disabled (if this is not agreed by the parties)
- The number of witnesses and documents
- If it is an automatic unfair dismissal claim e.g. if you are dismissed after blowing the whistle on your employer
- Allegations of discrimination which are linked to the dismissal
- Counsel’s fees estimated between £750 to £1,500 per day (depending on experience of the advocate) for attending a Tribunal Hearing (including preparation)The fees set out above cover all of the work in relation to the following key stages of a claim:
- Key stages
- Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
- There will be an additional charge for representation at Tribunal Hearing of £750 per day (excluding VAT). Generally, we would allow 1-5 days depending on the complexity of your case.
- Taking your initial instructions, reviewing the papers and advising you on merits and likely compensation (this is likely to be revisited throughout the matter and subject to change)
- Entering into pre-claim conciliation where this is mandatory to explore whether a settlement can be reached;
- Preparing claim or response
- Reviewing and advising on claim or response from other party
- Exploring settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process
- preparing or considering a schedule of loss
- Preparing for (and attending) a Preliminary Hearing
- Exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents
- Taking witness statements, drafting statements and agreeing their content with witnesses
- preparing bundle of documents
- Reviewing and advising on the other party’s witness statements
- agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast list
- Preparation and attendance at Final Hearing, including instructions to Counsel
The stages set out above are an indication and if some of stages above are not required, the fee will be reduced. You may wish to handle the claim yourself and only have our advice in relation to some of the stages. This can also be arranged on your individual needs.
How long will my matter take?
The time that it takes from taking your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved. If a settlement is reached during pre-claim conciliation, your case is likely to take 1-8 weeks. If your claim proceeds to a Final Hearing, your case is likely to take 24-36 weeks. This is just an estimate and we will of course be able to give you a more accurate timescale once we have more information and as the matter progresses.
If you would like to discuss any employment related matters with one of our employment lawyers please contact Ashley Harkus on 01633 251801 or click on the following link Contact Us